STAND AGAINST POVERTY MASS RALLY & MORAL REVIVAL FAQ
In the face of systemic racism, systemic poverty, ecological devastation, the war economy/militarism, and the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism — we must engage in mass nonviolent moral direct action. We must declare that we won’t be silent anymore about the war on the poor! On Saturday, June 23 the Campaign will head to the US Capitol in Washington, D.C. for the Stand Against Poverty Mass Rally & Moral Revival capping off our #40DaysOfAction and launching the next phase of our movement for the long-haul.
WHEN SHOULD I ARRIVE?
The program will begin at 10:00 a.m. so we encourage you to arrive by 9:15 a.m. You should expect traffic and prepare for a walk from wherever you park whether you are riding a bus or driving yourself in a car.
WHERE SHOULD I PARK MY CAR?
There are parking garages near the National Mall. They include:
- L’Enfant Plaza is a 14 minute walk from the National Mall and costs $21 for 2-24 hours of parking. Click here for more information.
- Union Station Parking Garage is a ## minute walk from the National Mall and costs $20 for 2-10 hours of parking. Click here for more information.
WHERE SHOULD I PARK MY VAN OR BUS?
All buses and vans should be registered online by clicking here. Once your vehicle has been registered, you will receive additional information about parking.
HOW CAN I GIVE OR RECEIVE A RIDE TO DC?
- Sign up to give a ride to D.C. — People interested in offering a free ride can identify where and when they plan to pick activists up, how many seats they can offer, and contact information to stay in touch
- Sign up to receive a ride to D.C. — This interactive map allows activists to type in their ZIP code to find or offer free rides in their area to D.C.
WILL THERE BE SPANISH INTERPRETATION?
Yes, simultaneous Spanish interpretation will be available by calling this number and entering the meeting ID:
Dial: (646) 876-9923
Meeting ID: 517 637 767#
WILL THERE BE ASL INTERPRETATION?
Yes, there will be ASL interpretation from the stage.
WILL THERE BE A MARCH?
At 1:00 p.m. we will march passed the Capitol leaving from and returning to the rally location on the National Mall. Those who can’t participate in the march can stay on the National Mall.
IS THE RALLY ACCESSIBLE FOR PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS?
The rally will be on turf protection rather than grass and there will be ramps leading onto the turf protection. There will be a section at the front of the rally for people in chairs and for those who will need to sit.
WHEN WILL THE EVENT BE OVER?
It will be over by 2:30 PM
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
It will be hot so don’t forget to bring water and wear comfortable walking shoes. Wear your organizational shirt and bring your signs and banners. Please refrain from bringing signs with profanity or partisan language.
HOW CAN I HELP SPREAD THE WORD?
- RSVP on Facebook. Share and invite your friends to the event. Use the hashtag #poorpeoplescampaign to spread the word on social media.
- Sign up to phone bank. We are phone banking to spread the word about June 23rd. People who submit information here will automatically receive an email with phone banking instructions and a link to register for Callhub. Once you register, you’ll receive a phone call that will plug you into a national list of calls that need to be made to fellow Poor People’s Campaign members.
- Organize a carpool and publicize your additional seats on the website by clicking here.