We Must Do M.O.R.E. National Tour
The Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival is organizing a 22-state “We Must Do M.O.R.E.” Tour from September 2019 to May 2020. This tour will lead into the Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington, where thousands of poor people and moral agents will gather at the nation’s capitol on June 20, 2020 to demonstrate their power. We will demand the implementation of our Moral Agenda and call all people of conscience to engage in deeply moral civic engagement and voting that cares about poor and low-wealth people, the sick, immigrants, workers, the environment, people with disabilities, the LGBTQ community, and peace over war.
Rather than through the limited framework of left or right, we will draw on our deepest constitutional, religious and moral values to challenge both political parties to address an economy that isn’t working for most of us. Systemic racism is dangerously impacting our democracy from voter suppression to denial of immigrant and indigenous rights. The reality of 140 million people who are poor or low-wealth and just one $400 emergency away from being poor — and who represent every race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, and political party and account for 43.5% of the people living in the richest nation in the world — is a moral crisis.
While Democrats have championed the middle class and Republicans have promoted tax cuts and corporate welfare, poor and low-wealth people have not heard their names or condition in American public life for the past 40 years. This has occurred, even as the gap between the rich and the poor has grown to match levels of inequality unseen since the Great Depression.
It is no accident that, despite both parties appealing to their bases, the single largest voting block in American politics is those who did not vote at all in the 2016 elections. The current system does not work for the poor and they make up the majority of non-voters.
The “We Must Do M.O.R.E.” Tour will shine a light on the conditions of those most impacted by systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism, and the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism.
9-MONTH, 20 PLUS STATE “WE MUST DO M.O.R.E.” TOUR
- El Paso, TX — Monday, Sept. 16 to Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019
- Greenville/Greensboro, NC — Friday, Sept. 27 to Monday, Sept. 30, 2019
- Portland, ME — Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019
- Concord, NH — Friday, Oct. 11, 2019
- Louisiana — Oct., 2019
- Kentucky — Friday, Oct. 25 to Monday, Oct. 28, 2019
- Oakland/San Francisco, CA — Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019
- Charleston, SC — Friday, Jan. 10 to Monday, Jan. 13, 2020
- Des Moines, IA — Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020
- Washington, D.C. — Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2020
- Roxbury, MA — Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020
- Rochester, NY — Friday, Feb. 7, 2020
- Mobile/Selma/Birmingham, AL — Friday, Feb. 28 to Monday, March 2, 2020
- Little Rock, AR — Friday, March 6 to Monday, March 9, 2020
- Aberdeen/Olympia, WA — Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Springfield, MO — Thursday, March 26, 2020
- Topeka, KS — Saturday, March 28, 2020
- Flint, MI — Friday, April 3 to Monday, April 6, 2020
- Milwaukee, WI — Thursday, April 16, 2020
- Dayton, OH — Thursday, April 23, 2020
- Pennsylvania — Saturday, April 25, 2020
- Mississippi Delta/Memphis, TN — Friday, May 15 to Monday, May 18, 2020
- Arizona, Nevada — TBA